Skip to main content

My Pinterest Challenge: Earring Holder

One of my favorite blogs, YHL, posted a Pinterest Challenge the other day.  This little challenge gave me the push that I needed to start a project I've been 'pining' to do for a while.

I love earrings but I'm not a big jewelry wearer.  I usually wear my cross/medal necklace and my engagement/wedding rings.  When I want to switch things up, I change my earrings to match my outfits.  Currently, my earrings were placed in this... 


...a Pitt mug from college.  Yes, I know...not the most elegant of things to hold your earrings in, but hey, it worked ! I've been wanting to update my earring holder for a while, ya know, make it a little more grown-up, but I haven't found the right solution until I crossed the framed radiator grate from iHeartOrganizing. I fell in love ! 

I did a little research and found out that Home Depot had the radiator grates.  I went there and asked for a little help in locating them (I know my way around Home Depot, but not that well).  The grates were actually located near the lumber section on the end of an aisle.  There were huge sheets and then there were 12 x 24" sheets for about $19 each.  They came in silver, nickel, and gold colors and had a few design options to choose from.  I came home with two nickel coated sheets:



I finally chose the one on the left...just because.  I'm keeping the other one in case a friend would like one as a gift someday or if I want to change out the grate.  They are both just so pretty and delicate that I couldn't return the other one.  

I got the frame at Michael's craft store on sale and with a teacher's discount for a whopping $3 (sweet !).  It fits an 11 x 14" picture and had a double matte.  It was perfect.  I got the double matte because I needed depth in order to get the earrings to actually hang.  If you use a shadowbox like frame, it would probably be a little easier. 


The sheets are pretty flimsy, so I first tried to used a wire cutting tool to cut the sheet:



But I didn't like the way it was cutting so I just tried regular ol' scissors:


And it worked ! I only cut about 9 inches, so it was about a 9 x 12" piece.  I still have 14.5 x 12" left over to use on another one !

After I cut, I used an elaborate solution to tape the radiator grate to the larger white matte...scotch tape !


Then, to add more depth to grate, I added scrapbook foam adhesives to the back of the grate:


At first I only used one foam adhesive (12 total around the frame), but after I was finished, I excitedly tried to put earrings in and it was still too shallow :( - so I doubled up on them.  I used 24 all together.  If you used a shadowbox frame, you probably don't need to use the foam adhesives at all.

This picture was taken when adding the 2nd set of foam adhesives...some of the adhesives stuck to the matte when I pulled it apart
Backtracking a little: After I put the foam adhesives on the grate, I put on the smaller matte to help give just a tiny bit more depth.  Then I found a pretty piece of scrapbook paper to put behind it.  Otherwise you would just see the back of the frame.  

Don't mind the fingernail - Yes, I sometimes bite them.
After that, I just placed it inside the frame and put the back on.  PERFECT !


Now doesn't this look a little more grown-up and stylish than that Pitt mug?  I also purchased some sushi dishes a few months ago (a transition from a childhood jewelry box) from World Market to hold other pieces of jewelry and bobbi pins.  Here's a before and after:


All in all, I am very pleased with the final product. Since I only used about half of the radiator grate and I got the frame fairly cheap, this only cost about $15 (not including materials I already had at home: scrapbook paper and adhesives). Nice and easy !

How and where do you store your jewelry?

Now you can Do It Yourself Too!

~Stephanie


Comments

  1. I hopped on over from Bower Power Pinterest Challenge. I love the use of the radiator grill! I made one with burlap, twine, and picture frame. I like the artsy look of yours. Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping over from the Summer Challenge. Use of the radiator grill is so interesting - I've always done them using black screen: http://ceodraiocht.wordpress.com/2010/11/02/another-90s-hit/ which also holds up pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea! Wish I would have seen this before I went out and bought earring holder things. haha Too awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I found this blog through Pinterest, and found it INTERESTING. And I stop here, because I finally found Earring Holder was looking for. Thank you so much!! Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does this work with stud earing as well? -- Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reason I ask, is because I am making this for my little girl who has a lot of stud earings. --- Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holly !

      I've only put ones with hooks on it. You could put cork behind the grate and stick the studs in the cork, but you'll have to put the backs in a little dish near it. Some backs you can push the whole way up and stick in the cork as well. Hope this helps !

      ~Stephanie

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tisket. A Tasket. A Wall Full of Baskets

Soo...after my new found obsession with Pinterest started, I came across this wonderful idea for small bathroom storage . Our upstairs "guest" bathroom doesn't have a lot of storage space, our sink is narrow with little cabinet space, and I'm not very in to the shelf/cabinet over the toilet idea.  So I was thrilled when I saw this picture.  I love baskets because they are a versatile way to store anything and they look good doing it.  I was also excited because the current towel bar over the toilet was not centered, which really bothered me, so now I had an excuse to take it down.   For the project: Tools Needed: Screw Driver Drill Putty knife (if needed) Paint roller (if needed) Paint tray (if needed) Level Measuring tape Pencil Materials Needed:   Towel Bars Baskets Something to attach baskets to bar - I used craft ribbon Spackling (if needed) Sand paper (if needed) Self-adhesive drywall joint tape (if needed) Primer and P

Fallin' For Tulle Wreaths

Pinterest is at it again.  While browsing Pinterest during my daily hourly look through, I found this pretty fall wreath : Since it is on Etsy, I started to look for an online tutorial on how to make a tulle wreath.  I've never seen one before, so I wasn't sure where to start.  Google makes searching for things so easy and I quickly found this  tutorial.  It was very helpful. I got most of my materials at a store called WOW Outlets in Pennsylvania while visiting my family (yes, another trip to PA).  The foam ring is 11" .  I originally started with a 12" ring, but felt it was too big.  I had almost the whole wreath covered with tulle, didn't like it, and took it apart for the smaller ring. I got some of the tulle at the same store, some at the $1.00 section in JoAnn's, and had some cut from a bolt at JoAnn's.  I also purchased some gold ribbon as well. The flower, leaves, and scarecrow are all from fall decorations I had lying around the ho

Spring Hanging Towels

I just wanted to share what I started over Easter break and finished yesterday in between church, hunting for Easter baskets, and eating tons of food.  My Gram's birthday and my godmother's birthday is in April, so I told them I'd make an Easter hanging towel for them.  I had four towels, so I was able to make 8 all together.  Only five are shown: Since I last made the shamrock one, I did find out that I can make a buttonhole with my sewing machine.  However, I can't find the manual so I still don't know how to use it.  So I'm still sewing snaps on the towels like I did  here .  I did figure out that I can sew the button on at the same time as the snap, so that made it MUCH easier than the first time I did it.  I actually like the snaps and will probably keep with it even if when I do figure out how to use it. I gave all of them away as gifts, except for one.  I think they turned out just springy :) I hope that you all had a blessed Easter !