This big, blank wall has just been begging for something to cover it since we moved in and I haven't been able to find the right piece of art…until I came across this gorgeous picture:
- Canvas (any size you'd like - mine was 24 in. X 30 in.)
- Painter's tape
- Paints of your choice (used acrylics - some are waterproof)
- Paint brush
- Something to put paint in to mix
- Foam roller brush
- Tweezers (if needed)
I searched through my old paint class materials and found my disposable pallet pad. It is essentially a tablet of wax paper. It's pretty cool and easy to use because once you are finished, you just roll it up and throw it away. I just squeezed dots of paints onto the pallet, mixed colors, and painted a crazy meld of colors. Once the canvas was covered with paint, I almost wanted to stop here and put it up, but instead I proceeded to the herringbone pattern.
I let it dry for about a day before I placed the tape on it. Cutting the tape was the most tedious part of this project. I cut about 108 pieces of tape at 4.5 inches each. It helped to stick the pieces of tape on something as I cut it, hence the chair full of tape. I suggest cutting all pieces first, then place the tape on the canvas.
For the tape, I started on the top left and placed the first piece of tape. Then I placed a second piece of tape perpendicular to the first, and then the third as parallel to the first - this picture might explain better:
After I finished one row, I started the second row. After all rows were finished, I pulled some pieces of tape off to get the "blank" pieces. I ran out of tape midway so had to use a different brand of painter's tape that had some design on it, just in case you were wondering why there are two colors of tape.
Then I took my foam roller and white paint and rolled over the entire canvas. I only did one "think" layer of paint. This part was fun !
While the paint was still wet, I started to peel off the tape. The edges were easy since there was tape to grab, but I needed tweezers to grab the corners of the other pieces in the middle. Some paint did get under the tape and left little splotches. I was able to carefully wipe some off, but I figured from far away no one would really notice.
It was pretty neat to see how the pattern came put as I continued to peel off the tape. Here is the finished product :
I love it ! The colors are great and the pattern looks awesome. The first row is a little slanted, but who would notice?
It didn't take long to dry and when it was finished drying I added some wire to hang it like I do my frames. Then I grabbed a picture hook and went upstairs to our bathroom to hang it.
Well, let me tell you that once I hung it in the bathroom, I no longer liked the painting. I mean, I like the painting, but not in the bathroom. I think the colors are all wrong and the herringbone pattern is too much pattern with the tile below it. AND, I think that the canvas is too small. Ah crap.
It has been hanging up in the bathroom for over a week now and I'm trying to get used to it, but it looks like it might end up coming down. Then I'll be back to square one with a big, blank wall. The painting might end up in another room…or in storage until I find a better home for it. Even though it didn't work out in the bathroom, I'm glad that I made it because making the pattern with tape was a lot of fun. And painting brought back some good memories from my painting class in college.
Now you can Do It Yourself Too !