Skip to main content

A Midsummer's Night Dream: A Green Garden

"Show me your garden... and I will tell you what you are like." ~Alfred Austin

I found this quote posted in the U.S. Botanic Garden in D.C. while visiting with my sister a couple years ago.  As beautiful as a quote this is, I hope Alfred Austin doesn't judge me based on my garden.

I told you that I would share the good and the bad.  Well this is going to be about the bad.  The very bad.  This summer has been very busy.  While this is no excuse, my garden has succumbed to our busy schedule.  In addition to our travels, the weather in Virginia has been scorching this summer, thus causing my plants to roast and wilt.

Here is what the garden looked like on July 5, 2012:


The garden looked good, but a bit over crowded.  The beans in the front and the zucchini overtook most of the garden. The eggplant in the back had blossoms, but no fruit yet.  Same with zucchini and beans.  The tomatoes were coming, but still green.  It looked like it would be a pretty fruitful garden.

The flowers that I planted back in April were scorched.  I took them out of the planters and added some new ones:


I also pulled some little "chicks" from my big chicks and hens plant and put them in new pots. I put the coffee filter at the bottom to hold the soil, filled it up with soil, and plopped in the new plant.  I love these plants.  They are so easy to take care of (they love the heat!) and they grow like crazy.  I've found that if easily I pull off a brown/dead leaf from a plant, a new one will grow.


I added a hosta in one of the blue pots because the previous plant died.  My zinnias are not doing too well, but the rest of the potted flower plants are:


The flowers in the front of the house got neglected and fried as well.  So I got some spikes ( my Gram always used these) and some nice pink petunias and planted those.  They are still doing well.  


In the following couple of weeks, I picked two medium sized zucchinis and made some delicious muffins and picked a handful of green beans.  That is all my garden produced in those few weeks.

Since then, we've been on a week vacation and made a few weekend trips.  I had to pull up the bean plants before our week vacation because they died.  The bell pepper plants aren't doing well and neither are the eggplant ones.  The tomatoes still aren't ripe or growing much either.  However, to my surprise, when I got home yesterday from last week's vacation, there was a HUGE zucchini.  I look forward to frying it.


The garden, as of today, is well...I'm not sure it would qualify it as a garden.  It is pretty dismal.

Taken July 26, 2012
However, the flowers are still doing well.  The zinnias are pretty much dead, but the hosta, lantanas, succulents, and the tall plant in the back (don't remember what it is but produces pretty white flowers) are doing well.

I think I might put more vegetable plants in pots next year and put the beans in the back with some sort of trellis.  I think that might help the garden a bit...along with a few less weekends away.  I hope for better luck and cooler weather next year...and hopefully Alfred Austin will be pleased next time around.

Now you can (or not this time) Do It Yourself Too !

~Stephanie



Comments

  1. AYou enjoyed some fruit from your labour - so it's still positive and a good start. I will have to post some pics from my dad's garden to show you how well his eggplants are doing in pots. I too tried pots this year - small fruit of my labour. Just some grape tomatoes and yellow peppers. Everything else didn't do well...but I WILL try again in a proper garden next year ... And Austin would not be too pleased with my garden either ... Until next year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Stephanie! I appreciate your talent. If you want garden tools for gardening, you can now easily get it online at cheaper price.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tisket. A Tasket. A Wall Full of Baskets

Soo...after my new found obsession with Pinterest started, I came across this wonderful idea for small bathroom storage . Our upstairs "guest" bathroom doesn't have a lot of storage space, our sink is narrow with little cabinet space, and I'm not very in to the shelf/cabinet over the toilet idea.  So I was thrilled when I saw this picture.  I love baskets because they are a versatile way to store anything and they look good doing it.  I was also excited because the current towel bar over the toilet was not centered, which really bothered me, so now I had an excuse to take it down.   For the project: Tools Needed: Screw Driver Drill Putty knife (if needed) Paint roller (if needed) Paint tray (if needed) Level Measuring tape Pencil Materials Needed:   Towel Bars Baskets Something to attach baskets to bar - I used craft ribbon Spackling (if needed) Sand paper (if needed) Self-adhesive drywall joint tape (if needed) Primer and P

Fallin' For Tulle Wreaths

Pinterest is at it again.  While browsing Pinterest during my daily hourly look through, I found this pretty fall wreath : Since it is on Etsy, I started to look for an online tutorial on how to make a tulle wreath.  I've never seen one before, so I wasn't sure where to start.  Google makes searching for things so easy and I quickly found this  tutorial.  It was very helpful. I got most of my materials at a store called WOW Outlets in Pennsylvania while visiting my family (yes, another trip to PA).  The foam ring is 11" .  I originally started with a 12" ring, but felt it was too big.  I had almost the whole wreath covered with tulle, didn't like it, and took it apart for the smaller ring. I got some of the tulle at the same store, some at the $1.00 section in JoAnn's, and had some cut from a bolt at JoAnn's.  I also purchased some gold ribbon as well. The flower, leaves, and scarecrow are all from fall decorations I had lying around the ho

Spring Hanging Towels

I just wanted to share what I started over Easter break and finished yesterday in between church, hunting for Easter baskets, and eating tons of food.  My Gram's birthday and my godmother's birthday is in April, so I told them I'd make an Easter hanging towel for them.  I had four towels, so I was able to make 8 all together.  Only five are shown: Since I last made the shamrock one, I did find out that I can make a buttonhole with my sewing machine.  However, I can't find the manual so I still don't know how to use it.  So I'm still sewing snaps on the towels like I did  here .  I did figure out that I can sew the button on at the same time as the snap, so that made it MUCH easier than the first time I did it.  I actually like the snaps and will probably keep with it even if when I do figure out how to use it. I gave all of them away as gifts, except for one.  I think they turned out just springy :) I hope that you all had a blessed Easter !